Connect with us

News

NSFAS Applications Rejected By More Than 230 000

Published

on

NSFAS Applications Rejected By More Than 230 000

NSFAS Applications Rejected By More Than 230 000. In February 2024, the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) concluded its application period for both bursaries and loans, but the outcome was stark: over 200,000 applicants faced rejection.

NSFAS Applications Rejected By More Than 230 000

During a recent briefing by NSFAS Acting Chairperson, Prof. Lourens Van Staden, it was disclosed that the organization processed approximately 23,000 applications daily. Priority was given to applicants with firm offers from universities and TVET Colleges. By the application deadline on February 15th, NSFAS had received a staggering 1.9 million applications. Among these:

  • 1.2 million applicants were provisionally funded.
  • 108,345 registrations were received.
  • 59,723 applications await evaluation.
  • 94,816 applications require supporting documents.
  • 84,225 applications were withdrawn.
  • 52,038 applications are in progress.
  • 130,468 applications are labeled ‘non-started,’ indicating applicants who created a profile but did not apply.
  • 234,113 applications faced rejection.

NSFAS Appeals Process

For those whose applications were rejected, NSFAS allows a second chance through an appeals process. As of March 1st, 15,174 appeals were received. Applicants have a 30-day window from the rejection date to submit their appeals, highlighting the importance of prompt action for those seeking reconsideration.

Introduction Of Missing Middle Loans

In a significant move, 2024 marks the initiation of missing middle loans by NSFAS, catering to students who fall outside the qualification criteria for traditional NSFAS assistance. By the application deadline, NSFAS received 30,728 loan applications for missing middle students.

See also  Does NSFAS Funding Have To Be Paid Back

Communication was sent to eligible students via the portal, confirming their willingness to proceed with loan processing.

Van Staden emphasized the subsequent steps, involving communication with institutions to gather admission data for registered students. This concerted effort aims to provide loans to 31,008 missing middle students, encompassing both undergraduate and postgraduate studies. Notably, 70% of these loans will be allocated to STEM qualifications, with the remaining 30% earmarked for social sciences.

Conclusion

The latest insights from NSFAS underscore the challenges faced by applicants, with over 230,000 facing rejection. However, avenues for appeal and the introduction of missing middle loans provide glimmers of hope for those in need of financial assistance. As the 2024 academic year progresses, NSFAS continues its mission to support students in pursuit of higher education.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending